- THE OTTAWA VALLEY CURLING ASSOCIATION'S ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING AND DINNER will be held at the RA Centre on Riverside Drive, September 16 starting at 6:00 pm. Registration will start at 5:30. All club presidents (or their alternate) are invited to attend. We are extending the invitation to the OVCA club representatives; if your club does not have an OVCA representative please consider adding one to your club roster. Also joining the club presidents will be the members of the OVCA Board of Administrators, OVCA Past Presidents, OVCA Life Members and the recipients of the Ken Thain award. We will be posting all AGM reports and documents on the OVCA website the week prior to the meeting. If you are unable to download or prefer a hard copy in advance please contact Art Olson (OVCA Secretary). Copies of the reports and documents will be available at the meeting. Please confirm your attendance with Art Olson (OVCA Secretary) before September 6, 2013. A reminder notice will be sent to club presidents and OVCA representatives in mid-August.
- NEW BOARD MEMBER: Please consider nominating a member of your club to join the Ottawa Valley Curling Association Board of Directors and help drive and direct the future of curling in the area. A Candidates Information Kit is available for anyone who wishes to become a director of the OVCA. Typically, directors spend five years on the board in a progression of roles leading to president of the Ottawa Valley Curling Association. A Candidates Information Kit is available here or contact Elaine Brimicombe for more information.
- TIME TO UPDATE YOUR CLUB INFORMATION! Please take the time to update your club board contact information with Art Olson (OVCA Secretary).
- BUSINESS OF CURLING: Thirteen clubs are interested in attending a one day session facilitated by the OCA in September in Pembroke (date to be established by the OCA). If your club is interested and has not signed up or if you need information please contact Margaret Lomore (OVCA Valley Liaison). This workshop is free to OVCA member clubs; you may send up to three attendees. Lunch will be provided by the OVCA.
- LOANS TO OVCA CLUBS through the OVCA Development Fund were recently approved for the North Grenville Curling Club ($25,000) and Cumberland Curling Club ($30,000).
- YOUTH FUNDING: Details of the funding for non-competitive youth curling are available on the OVCA website under Youth or by contacting Jim Inch (OVCA Director). The OVCA recently approved funding through the program to the following clubs: Smith Falls, Renfrew and Manotick; two requests are pending approval at our August meeting.
- The policy for youth team travel and youth grants has changed slightly and is available on the OVCA website under Youth. In summary The OVCA subsidizes travel expenses for youth (bantam, junior and university) teams attending OCA and Ontario University Provincial Championships at the current OVCA mileage rate of 20 cents/km (one car per team to and from the event).
- The OVCA will provide funding for OVCA junior teams who advance to the: Canadian University Championships, Canadian Junior Championships and World Junior Championships. The funding is $500 per team per event (all team members belong to an OVCA member club). If not all members of the team belong to OVCA clubs, the amount payable is $125/team member belonging to an OVCA club. The maximum is $500 per team.
On behalf of the OVCA Board of Directors, have a great summer!